The human mind is not good at handling uncertainty. let me draw a hypothetical situation. I wake up and find myself in a cave. initially I feel that it must be a fancy dress party that I attended last night, got drunk and ended up in some children's park. I soon realize that I am wrong, this is real life and there's no eggs and bacon for breakfast today. so I go out hunting. I manage to catch some fish from a nearby stream and also manage to start a fire. by the time I'm done it's dinner. I'm already worried to death about my security during the night, and if I survive, what to eat tomorrow. everything is so uncertain.
The alarm is buzzing. it is 5.30am. I get out of my bed, turn on the kettle, brush, shave and sit with my decaf. I don't need to look at the watch, it's 6 am. I leave exactly at 6.30 and I am in my office by 7. the rest of the day goes smoothly. everything is programmed, so certain and I am happy and comfortable.Why? Because I can foresee my next move and I do not see any threats to my well being. Well, so was the caveman in his habitat.
We find it difficilt to handle uncertainty. Had I actually been the caveman, I would have made sort of a routine and made myself comfortable with the same set of resources available there. The other way round is also true. If the caveman woke up with the alarm he would have felt the same way I did as him. Randomness or uncertainty makes things unpredictable and thus our future becomes obscure. It is this lack of transparency that plays havoc in our mind. The mind seeks security and comfort and when it cannot figure out the path to this safe haven it starts working overtime to find a way to this.
So it is not the amenities that make us comfortable and relaxed. It is the minimization of uncertainty in our life that gives us the feel good sensation.So if you were wondering why some people living in the slums are happier than some living in plush apartments and villas you must be having your answer by now
No comments:
Post a Comment